Choosing the verb to match the subject in number (singular or plural) can get tricky. Try these and check “My Answers” to see how we agree (or not).
- Four out of five (enjoy, enjoys) movies.
- Some of the class (like, likes) to read.
- Much of the time procrastinating (are, is) lost.
- Each girl and boy (learn, learns) at an individual speed.
- Twelve dollars or 12 cents (are, is) too much.
- The choir (sing, sings) like angels.
- As the jury returns, the results (are, is) all too apparent.
- There (are, is) several good reasons for leaving you.
1) enjoy; 2) like; 3) is; 4) learns; 5) are; 6) sings; 7) are; 8) are